Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Grandma Geezer Exposed! "The Frenzied Procrastinator"


I used to fly by the seat of my pants in all situations.

I was a procrastinator. I wasn't lazy.

I just took my sweet time doing things because I could get away with it.

Welllllll, that was when I was younger.
Today, at 70, I can't get away with that because I drop the ball on too many other things. Oh and by the way I must keep a calendar of all and I mean all of the things I need to do on a daily basis.

Recently I received a text message from a client.
She said that shed had to cancel her appointment with me because she took an extra shift at the hospital. Now this is an appointment I should have written down the week before, after our session but I was running late to the office and forgot my scheduling book. Why did I forget my scheduling book? You guessed it! I was procrastinating leaving to go to the office and dashed out of the house without my book.

What was I doing you ask? Nothing! Absolutely nothing important.I was just trying to beat my record in solitaire. Now this could have been a very bad situation because I had already scheduled a client at the same time but the cancelation saved my bacon and no one is the wiser - except me. (And now, you.)

I have to admit this has happened more than once to me! For a while I get compelled to set this situation right and for a while I'm good. But I always go back to the same behavior as if I will never get caught. Why am I like this! I always warn clients who engage in this behavior to set it right because it will cause anxiety, stress, fear, depression and other negative situations in their lives – I have experience!

There is a study that indicates that procrastination actually enhances focus. 
I have to agree with that. 
For years I’ve been able to juggle many plates at one time and procrastination has enabled me to gain the focus I need for the task in front of me. However, fear also played a part. As you age your juggling act gets worse and you drop more plates than intended. If I was in school, I could no more do an all-nighter to get a term paper done than I could run a marathon. I can no longer work all day and go out to dinner, getting home after nine, not unless I have nothing to do the next day until one in the afternoon. I can’t push myself.

I bought this stationary pad sometime ago that said;
"I wanted it all! (What was I thinking!”)


Well, I carried that off for quite awhile before being diagnosed with an aggressive cancer
and was given only a few months to live. Obviously, the Lord had different plans for me, and I had an extended rest that was forced on me. However, once I had my energy back I hit the road hard!

But now that it has caught up with me I have to do the following things. I humbly share them with you in hope that you will not  continue as a frenzied procrastinator like I have been!

1. Schedule everything and don’t think you’ll remember someone’s special day – because you won’t if you have a demanding day and something not scheduled gets put on your calendar.


2. Set a realistic time limit for everything or like me you’ll run out the door without something you need for the day. Plan for emergencies. Traffic, road blocks, accidents, car not starting, garage door not opening, dishwasher overflowing as you go up to take a shower, gashing your hand on a broken glass, children throwing up in the car on the way to school, catching your jacket on the car door and slamming it on your finger, running into a cabinet door which knocks you to the floor, slipping on the urine of an animal that wasn’t taken out, bashing your naked toe into the end of a bed and last but not least stepping on something you should have put away the night before and tumbling down the stairs - don’t ask me how I know these things! 

3. Plan your play time accordingly and only after the important tasks are finished.  I have a miniature schedule book I mark with time and place so that I know I have something that day and where I need to be. You smart phone users have a schedule in your phone unless you place the phone on the hood of your car and drive off – don’t ask me how I know that either.


4. Plan your meals and take care of yourself. Manage your time well for your health.
There are many more tips I could give you because of my vast (embarrassing) experiences but they would take up volumes.


So for now, I sign off with a big,  “TRUST ME ON THIS”!


Ever Your Focused – (Not Frenzied) Friend,
Grandma Geezer Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment