Tuesday, June 9, 2015

"True Character Comes Out In An Emergency Situation"



Grandma Geezer had her character tested, when she came face to face with a real life scenario in the form of a blinding blizzard on her way back from a two day speaking engagement. 

Was I going to use the time to call friends and complain angrily about my situation, or sit quietly in the traffic jam and catch up on correspondence?




I was on Interstate 80 between Rawlings and Laramie, Wyoming heading east to Interstate 25
We all were traveling slow (40 mph) because of the snow and ice on the road. All of a sudden three cars go past us at well over 70 mph. Not more than twenty minutes later I am at a complete stop with miles of semi's and cars gridlocked ahead and behind me. No cars on westbound lanes.


Hmmmm...it became apparent after sitting in my car and watching highway patrol cars, tow trucks and snow removal equipment going east on the west bound lanes, that something was amiss. Could it be those cars that were speeding caused an accident? Or are they stuck in this traffic jam? I choose the latter thought because of two reasons.

It's a much funnier scenario because I can just imagine them fuming away in their cars at a standstill and they are safe, as well as all the rest of us from their careless driving. If I choose the former thought I will fall into the judging mode which will only fuel my anger to unbelievable levels. Name calling, rants about why were they so stupid to not drive according to the conditions, how many lives they put at risk because of their choices, how none of us will get to our destinations on time and the list goes on.


I was at peace in my car looking at how beautiful the snow appeared. 
Everyone around me was safe in their vehicles. So I prayed that everyone had snacks, water and enough fuel for the hours it took to unravel the messy situation. I also made plans for the evening when this was over - I would stay in Laramie and hope there was a bed somewhere or I'd be stuck at a local truck stop for the evening. Have you ever noticed at times like this how bad you need a bathroom? LOL!


After what seemed hours the traffic moved but we were only allowed off at the Laramie exit. Oh well, I would sleep in and leave around 10:30 am the next morning. I ended up waking with a startle at 7:30 am and decided to leave. The fog was thick and I ended up following a truck with yellow flashing lights. You literally could see five feet ahead of you so the flashing lights were a blessing. I turned mine on as well.


Here we were chugging along at a healthy 35 mph on a wet slick road not knowing what was ahead of us 
–while in the left lane people were passing us at twice that speed. REALLY FOLKS, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! I reach the state line and things clear up considerably but it is snowing hard. I turn on the radio to hear of another accident on the same road right behind me. More semi-trucks and cars all bungled up together. I shake my head and pray that no one is badly hurt.


Choose carefully how you will respond in a crisis. 
Grandma Geezer knows as a psychologist that anger only fuels stress which is a killer to your immune system. Trust me on this!

I reached home very tired and ready to hit the bed! I stayed there for two days and relaxed, ate my favorite foods and zoned out on recorded television. Bliss! 


Yours Truly Through Sun or Storms,

Grandma Geezer Ph.D.




No comments:

Post a Comment