Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"The Psychologist Who Cuts Twine" - A Lesson in Humility

By Sandra Miskie 
(aka: Grandma Geezer PhD.)

As a semi-retired person I am working more hours than I did when I was not retired. Who knew that would happen?  Perhaps I should have consulted my older colleagues who experienced this. Interestingly, they as a group have entered into different lifestyles and new careers! For the longest time, I didn't understand why highly educated people would open restaurants, become botanical gurus and such - working with their hands and not their minds.

It's hard to admit I was totally wrong in my thinking. That's the problem - I was thinking! I have found that I want more out of life than mind-bending work as a psychologist or consultant.



If you have never volunteered and you're retired you need to give it a try. 
Oh, my gosh! It is incredibly worthwhile to be placed in a position that does not require your constant expertise. Who knew? ( ! ) I'm learning all kinds of new things!   

I long ago got over the fact that two doctoral programs made me smart - at the most all it did was make me realize, that I don't really know that much. It did however give me an ability to examine situations outside the box and come up with unique problem solving ideas. Hence the lesson about Twine and Humility. TRUST ME ON THIS

One day on my volunteer shift as a receptionist I had a young man come up to me with a request. I was to take six cards, 5"x3", with holes on top and put a thin piece of twine through the holes and tie it. Easy I thought to myself and started laughing about the fact that with all my education this is what I'm relegated to. Well...the job was tedious and I was slow. When the young man came up to check on me, he didn't have to say a word - his face said it all.

"Show me how you're doing this." He was so kind as I went through my method.
"Hmmm..." , he said."How about if you pull the twine through, put a pen in the hole and wrapped the twine around it...then pulled the twine out like this." Well, since the young man is probably thirty years my junior I was feeling pretty dumb. (I can see that grin on your face...knock it off.) After a number of thank yous he left grinning.

I have to tell you I quadrupled my production and finished the project in a very short time.
I have learned now that when he brings me a project, I ask how he would do it and then I go forward. These youngsters are smart and I don't give them enough credit. I certainly learned my lesson!

The age-old adage " You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is totally not true!
If you want to keeping growing in life at any age, be humble enough to either ask for help when you don't understand a newfangled "something" and keep your heart in a receiving mode at all times!

Bye for now my friends! You are forever "en-twined" in my heart! 

Your Wacky Advisor,

Grandma Geezer PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment