Monday, June 10, 2013

"The 'STOP' Button


By Sandra Miskie 

(aka: Grandma Geezer Ph.D)


Grandma Geezer lost it this week. 
It’s been trying working through all the little things a house fire includes. Without going into a lot of explanation I will just say this, having trusting friends around is beyond good. I have one long-time friend who is not afraid to push the stop button. I call her and I can immediately feel her finger in the middle of my chest pushing the off switch and reason abounds.


I felt I had a good grip on things as I worked through my Plan. 
 A,B,C,D,etc. and all the money issues involved in this fire event were handled. Then I got a call from the dentist with the bad news that the swelling in my mouth was actually a severe infection caused by a fractured tooth. It will cost a mere $2000 to have it removed and put in a bridge. Where was that money going to come from?


By this time I am exhausted with life. 
I go into hiding and thank goodness so does everyone else because of the two day snowstorm. But as I go into hibernation mode the issue of finances starts to rattle me and I can feel the anxiety rising. I get into panic mode because the what if’s of life start to play havoc with my thought processes.


TRUST ME ON THISavoid at all cost the fear/anger cycle. 
There isn’t anything that can’t be worked out. One step at a time. When I get this way I purposely call one or two people that I know can identify with my situation and not give me platitudes. My thought processes are muddled but theirs are not. Have you thought about this or that and what about the conversation we just had two days ago.

I take a deep breath. 
Gales of laughter ensue and I send her a picture the next day from my phone with a big gaping mouth to show her what the dentist completed. I sleep like a baby and the next day I wake up refreshed. I didn’t take in 5000 empty chocolate ice cream calories, I practiced for my upcoming concert, I emptied 25 more boxes and put together three pieces of furniture.


I steered clear of the fear/anger cycle and got back on track. 
Good friends, excellent advice and in actuality the crisis of $2000 was not anywhere near the catastrophe I had anticipated. It was just a matter of negotiating a payment plan with my credit union. I admit I’m tired which means my common sense is affected.

Stop, listen, plan and don’t panic. Words to the wise this month.


Ever thankful,

Grandma Geezer Ph.D



No comments:

Post a Comment